Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What Happens to the Easter Bunny?

Nugget, Aspen, Dangerous, Nibbles and Ashley

People really confuse me. Once a year, they make a big fuss over something called the "Easter Bunny." Well, I am very familiar with the black-tailed jackrabbit also known as Lepus californicus or Sylvilagus nuttallii more commonly called the mountain cottontail. I have spent hours trying to catch one or the other while trailing Dangerous as he rides his horse on the High Plateau and surrounding desert country. For the squeamish, don't worry I have never caught one. I actually prefer the taste of caramel filled chocolate rabbits. I suspect the furry ones squeal when caught and probably stick to the roof of your mouth.

Rosie Searching for the "Easter Bunny"

I thought you might want to hear my theory about what happens to the "Easter Bunny" after the holiday is forgotten until next year. Actually, there are so many bunnies that it isn't just one thing that can happen, but they face many possible fates. The few lucky ones end up nibbling grass and alfalfa at Walking Horse Bill's barn. I have already told Aspen and Ashley that their bunnies have a home with these two former "Easter Bunnies" who munch grass and weeds relatively undisturbed.

Two Lucky Bunnies

You notice that I said "...relatively undisturbed..." in describing their somewhat tranquil existence. Even at Bill's "Easter Bunny" rehabilitation center a long-lived bunny keeps a wary eye to the sky. At one time, there were a lot more bunnies wandering the yard than there are today, and you can't blame the population decline on me. A long lived rabbit keeps one eye on me and the other watching for swooping shadows along the ground.

I Have "Easter Bunnies" On My Mind

I have another theory that some "Easter Bunnies" live to participate in even bigger, more important holiday celebrations. After seven months of fattening up, an unlucky bunny might find himself the center of attention at the Thanksgiving table. I understand that turkeys are starting a new campaign that includes the slogan "Eat more rabbit!" Or, was that "Rabbit the other white meat?" I will support either one as long as the selected species isn't canine.

A Thanksgiving Bunny

Once all those "Easter Bunnies" are turned lose, they can have a serious impact on the environment. To make room for the next holiday, humans sometimes take an active hand in determining my furry friend's fate. You might not want your children to see this next picture, but I had to include it to further explain what I think happens after Easter Sunday. It isn't pretty, but I suspect that even mom and dad who bought the rabbits in the first place soon get tired of cleaning up after them. You ever try to house train a real "Easter Bunny?" That's why I am not too worried about a rabbit soon replacing me as the family pet.

After Easter Clean Up on the High Plateau

Finally, I believe a select few, the really good bunnies, end up living the rest of their lives wandering the High Plateau. Over the years selective breeding has produced a super bunny that has incredible size and stamina. In fact, some people who don't ride horses have captured a few and put them to use as pack stock. While these evolved "Easter Bunnies" can't pack as much as a horse, they are cuter and more agreeable by nature than llamas. For you doubters, I have included irrefutable photographic evidence that these pack bunnies actually exist. I saw them with my own eyes and had Dangerous photograph them tied to a horse trailer at the Deer Creek Lake Trail head. Since I am reporting their existence on the Internet, my theory about what happens to "Easter Bunnies" has got to be true. Love to hear from you!

High Plateau Highly Evolved "Easter Bunnies"

Packed and Ready to Go

No comments: